About two miles north of Star, Dane owed its existence to a sawmill owned by W.T. Sandifer in 1915. When the
sawmill was moved in 1922, Dane lost its “raison d’etre”. This was the pattern that developed during the years that timber was being cut. Villages sprang up around the sawmills, but became ghost towns when the timber was gone and the sawmills were moved elsewhere.