Located about 20 miles southeast of Brandon, Puckett was named for one of its early settlers. When application for a post office was made, the name Burnham was requested, but there was already a post office named Burnham, so the request was denied. Another one of Puckett’s early settlers named Merchant built the first water mill and to attract trade, he had blazed a trail along the ridge which forms the dividing line between Campbell and Purvis Creeks to the point now known as Shiloh.
One of the oldest houses in the southeastern part of the county was the Bill Stapleton house, built in 1834. The entire west end was said to be built by slave labor, with a porch 10 feet wide extending the entire length of the house, a hall 12 feet wide, and two rooms each containing two fireplaces.
Puckett during the winter months became the mecca for traveling show people and was called humourously by one writer, “the biggest little show town in America.”
The post office at Puckett was established in 1891.
This community located near Whitfield was named for one of its settlers, S. Green. Its post office opened in 1891 and closed in 1935.
First named Gates in honor of Tom Gates, an early settler, the name of the community was changed to Johns in honor of John Anderson, the first postmaster, in 1891. It is located in the southeastern part of the county. Johns was the home of Rankin County’s Agricultural High School, which was discontinued in 1932.