Originally known as Mountain Creek, the name was changed to Kings, probably in honor of Bee King, when the post office was established in 1881. This settlement was located in southwest Rankin, five miles west of Florence.
An old settlement five miles south of Florence, Mountain Creek’s settlers were of Scotch-Irish descent, coming from Georgia and the Carolinas. Among them were the Enochs, Laird, Deer, Taylor, and Morris families. The post office in this area was named King, probably in honor of Bee King of Copiah County, who was admired by many of the citizens of this part of Rankin County. The post office was opened in 1881. One of the oldest homes in Rankin County still in use is the Enochs home at Mountain Creek, built in 1860.