Pearson, about five miles from Jackson, in the southwestern corner of the city of Pearl, was once a part of the Norrell plantation. More precisely, Pearson was located south of the right angled curve Highway 268 makes as it turns east toward Whitfield. John W. Pearson (1840-1883) acquired land in the area and made it available to the railroad which was being built, with the stiuplation that the village be named Pearson. The community had a depot and daily train service, both passenger and freight, for many years. Rankin Countians from as far away as Florence brought their products, including crossties as well as cotton, to Pearson for shipping by rail. They were forced to camp somewhere along the way, as in the early days the journey from Florence to Pearson, if one was carrying a load, could not be accomplished in one day. The post office at Pearson opened in 1874.
There were several beautiful homes in Pearson, most of which were destroyed by fire. None of them is left today. Pearsosn is also said to have had the first flour mill in the state. Changing times, better roads, and the increasing use of the automobile were some of the factors which contributed to the demise of the once bustling community known as Pearson. Gone are the store, the post office, the depot, the daily train services. Today only the name lingers on, in Pearson Road, Pearson Baptist Church, the Pearson Cemetery and the Pearson voting precincts. Unless one counts the memories in the minds of the area’s older citizens.