Located five miles east of Brandon, Rankin’s post office, named for the county, was opened in 1870, abolished in 1910 in favor of an R.F.D. from Brandon. Rankin was formerly known as Spear’s Cut and was at one time a flag stop on the railroad.
Located about six miles south of Jackson, Plain was established about 1870 as the home of old Richland Academy. Land for the Richland Male and Female Academy was donated by Issac Lawson, on February 13, 1858.
T.N. Norrell donated land for the Methodist church on October 12, 1881. The Baptist church was built in July of 1896.