This community was named for one of the settlers who burned to death. The decision to use this name was not unanimous. Some people wanted the community named Brownsville in honor of the Brown family. Fannin’s post office was opened in 1860 and closed in 1969.
An old settlement five miles south of Florence, Mountain Creek’s settlers were of Scotch-Irish descent, coming from Georgia and the Carolinas. Among them were the Enochs, Laird, Deer, Taylor, and Morris families. The post office in this area was named King, probably in honor of Bee King of Copiah County, who was admired by many of the citizens of this part of Rankin County. The post office was opened in 1881. One of the oldest homes in Rankin County still in use is the Enochs home at Mountain Creek, built in 1860.