The Museum will be open for public tours on Rankin County Heritage Day, Saturday, April 20, 2013, from 10:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M.
The building that serves as the Rankin County Historical Society Museum was originally the general store of John Cole Atkins located “down the hill, north of Brandon, across the tracks”.
It became known as the Value Post Office.
The residents of the area could get most of what they needed at Atkins store so they only went to Brandon to pick up their mail. About 1916 a post office was established at Atkins place, and so the story goes, one morning an old fellow wandered in and asked the “value” of an item he’d picked up. It is also said that there was no other post office in the United States by that name.
Atkins served as Value’s first postmaster and maintained the store until his death in the 1930’s. His daughter and son-in-law, the J.W. McRaes took over.
Value was never a town, but the first settlement there was about 1828.
The McRae family donated the building to the RCHS and it has been used since that time to house and exhibit the collection of historical items entrusted to the Society.
The Neely-Wilson Home is also part of the Museum. The house was originally located in Richland on land deeded to Nancy Williams by a US land patent dated February 10, 1840.
In 1904 this dwelling became the home of Henry S. Wilson and Ina Neely when they married. Mrs. Wilson and her father, David B. Neely were descendants of Nancy Williams.
The building was donated to the Historical Society by Mrs. Roy Wilson whose husband Roy was the son of Henry and Ina Neely Wilson.
McDonalds has built a restaurant at the site where the house stood for so many years on Highway 49.
The house is a typical southern dwelling of the time.
Renovations and repairs are being done to the buildings as time and money permit. At this time tours are by appointment.