• Archives of Rankin Communitiy Articles
    Grouped Alphabetically
Click on Photo for more Images

Archive for the ‘A – D’ Category

An old community located on the Rankin and Scott County line, Clarksburg was about equal distance between Morton and Pelahatchie. It is not known just when it was settled, but Line Creek Baptist Church was established in 1839, so there were people in the area at that time. Old Highway 80 went down its main street and made a sharp left turn on its way to Morton. Clarksburg had a post office from 1890 until 1923. There were several stores, a gin, grist mill and a hotel.
Clarksburg had a small railroad station; the trains stopped only in case of an emergency, or if a passenger wanted to detrain.
Schools around Clarksburg were Barker Prairie School, Mulberry School, Armstead School, Rocky Springs and Ashley School. Ashley School was named for Ashley Creek and during the rainy season some children could not get to school. The rules were finally changed to allow those children to attend a school on their side of the Creek.

Located three miles west of Florence, Cleary was established before 1890 but was not known by that name until a post office was opened in 1890 and given the name by officials in Washington, D.C. Early settlers were W.M. Renno and H.H. Teasley; Renno served as postmaster until the office was discontinued in 1912. Mt. Sinai Methodist Church is located in this community.

This community was named for a nearby clear spring branch that flows through the area. The name was later changed to Whites. There was a post office at Whites from 1890 until 1908.

Comeby was a sawmill town near Star and Belpine. It was named for the favorite expression of Mr. John R. Webster, owner of the mill, “Come by to see me”. Comeby had a post office from 1903 until 1918.

 

About two miles north of Star, Dane owed its existence to a sawmill owned by W.T. Sandifer in 1915. When the

Sawmill blade

Sawmill Blade

sawmill was moved in 1922, Dane lost its “raison d’etre”. This was the pattern that developed during the years that timber was being cut. Villages sprang up around the sawmills, but became ghost towns when the timber was gone and the sawmills were moved elsewhere.