• Archives of Rankin Communitiy Articles
    Grouped Alphabetically
Click on Photo for more Images

Archive for the ‘R – U’ Category

Located in the Antioch area, the post office was named Rufus in honor of Rufus Patrick. The post office existed from 1902 to 1909.

This community was so named because of its hills and the many beautiful and useful rocks found there. There was a one-room school house, a Baptist church and a Methodist church. The school was organized around 1887. Miss Mary Buchanan was probably the first teacher. The school closed in 1932 and the students were transferred to Johns school.
Rock Hill Baptist Church was organized under a brush arbor in 1892 or 1893. A one room church building was constructed soon afterwards. In 1946 the church was moved to a more suitable location for its members.
Rock Hill Methodist church was probably organized in the 1870′s or 1880′s. Its membership was transferred to Johns Methodist church in the early 1930′s.

Located five miles east of Brandon, Rankin’s post office, named for the county, was opened in 1870, abolished in 1910 in favor of an R.F.D. from Brandon. Rankin was formerly known as Spear’s Cut and was at one time a flag stop on the railroad.

Richmond, located on the Pearl River, is thought to be the first settlement in Rankin County. The community was destroyed by fire and was never rebuilt.

Richland is located about six miles south of Jackson on Highway 49, not far from the site of old Richmond, thought to be Rankin County’s oldest settlement. It bears the same name as the creek which meanders through much of the county. The name was chosen, no doubt, because it describes the rich soil found in the area. The community’s name was originally Plain.